Located near Culdaff, Co. Donegal, the monastery at Clonca was one of the most influential centres for the conversion to Christianity in Inishowen from the 6th century onwards.
Little remains today from this monastic period apart from the St. Bodan’s Cross and another partial cross lying about 100 metres away to the west and often overlooked.
The large head of this 2nd cross lies beside the socket on which it would have stood. At 1.36 metres wide including arms this cross would have been a substantial size. The head is broken diagonally at the top of the presumed shaft. The shaft and one arm are missing. The other broken arm with its roundel carving was found in the early 1980’s and lies within the nearby 17th century church ruin.
This beautiful 12th century wheeled cross features 5 roundels carved with intricate Celtic patterns, still visible in this picture taken by Mabel Colhoun in the 1940’s though harder to make out today. Upon examination by Mabel at the time, when the cross was turned over the other side had a similar carving with design differences in the roundels.
Our West Cross pendant is available in 2 sizes, in silver, 18ct yellow or white gold, (18ct red gold or platinum on request).